Procedures: Functional & Reconstructive [see all]


> Click here to view photos of this procedure.

Blepharoplasty, also known as an “eye lift” or eyelid surgery, can be a functional or cosmetic procedure. Excess skin and puffiness (fat) in the upper eyelids can be modified resulting in a natural-looking more rested, youthful appearance. In more extreme cases, excess tissue in the upper eyelids can drape over the lashes and impair vision.  In these cases, patients can sometimes qualify for insurance coverage for their surgery.  The necessary criteria will be determined during your consultation.

Source: Mayo Clinic

Surgery is performed in an outpatient setting; patients are able to go home directly following their procedure. Patients are given a sedative intravenously, and then a local anesthesia is then applied to the operative area to further ensure patient comfort. On average, surgery for bilateral upper eyelids takes approximately 45 minutes to complete.

In upper eyelid surgery, the surgeon first marks the individual lines and creases of the lids in order to keep the scars as invisible as possible along these natural folds. The incision is made, and excess fat, muscle, and loose skin are removed. Fine sutures are used to close the incisions, thereby minimizing the visibility of any scar.


Recovery is generally painless; however, patients should expect significant bruising and swelling for a week or two following the procedure.  Icepacks will be used to reduce swelling.  All patients are given medication for pain, but most don’t find it necessary.

Initially, the eyelids may feel tight. This usually resolves over the first week or so. On average, one week after surgery, approximately 50%  of the swelling will have dissipated and after two weeks, close to 90% of the swelling will have dissipated. The remaining 10% will decrease over the next few weeks to perhaps a month.  Everyone heals at a different rate, but all can be assured that swelling will go away.  Most patient can return  to work in a week or two, depending on their job responsibilities and how healed they wish to be prior to returning.    Specific instructions for post-operative care will be provided and explained at the time of surgery.  As always, please call with any concerns or questions that are not addressed in your materials.

> Click here to view photos of this procedure.